Recently Chet and I have been talking about something more we could do to help teachers and users of our site to improve their films and their entertainment programs within their schools. Strangely enough, one of the biggest issues we face is that teacher’s schedules are so tight that they have very limited time to focus on anything else. It’s very difficult to penetrate that wall without showing teachers how it will ease their already heavy burden. What we came up with sounds like just more stuff to worry about but it will benefit teachers and students with minimal participation.
We are launching a new webinar series we call, A Night On The Lot. This series is intended to cover some of the more obscure areas of filmmaking that teachers may have difficulty with. Teachers are free to ask questions and have immediate feedback from film professionals. This content will be recorded so teachers can access it at any time for later viewing or just to show to their students.
To create the schedule we went to where the need is met head on… to the teachers. Recently we hosted a closed webinar with our teachers where they took a survey of over 50 topics. There will be one topic covered on the first Wednesday of each month at 4:00PM PT till June. The top eight topics chosen by the teachers are as follows:
- Nov, 7 | 4:00 PM PT – Raiders of the Lost Ark – bar scene breakdown
- Dec, 5 | 4:00 PM PT – How to get production value with no budget
- Jan, 2 | 4:00 PM PT – Careers in the business
- Feb, 6 | 4:00 PM PT – Lighting and composition – guest speaker Tristan Whitman
- Mar, 6 | 4:00 PM PT – Actual production work flow, all the bricks and how they fit together to form the wall
- Apr, 3 | 4:00 PM PT – Common editing mistakes in young filmmakers – guest speaker Danny Ramirez
- May, 1 | 4:00 PM PT – The Studio System – guest speaker Chet Thomas
- June, 5 | 4:00 PM PT – Special effects makeup – guest speaker Sven Granlund
We look forward to seeing you on the Lot.
If these events are successful you can count on more episodes. So show up, turn out and help make them a success!